A company’s website serves as its digital representation and frequently forms the initial interaction with prospective customers. While many businesses today rely on database-driven content management systems like WordPress for their website, a static website could serve them even better.
Static websites support fixed content HTML pages that display the same information for all visitors. When a user loads a static site, their web browser retrieves the entire HTML file (along with CSS and JS) to construct the page. A static website can perform faster, be more secure, cost less to maintain, and appeal more to search engines. In contrast, dynamic sites use server-side tech like databases and PHP to build pages on the fly based on user input. The browser stitches together multiple files to generate a cohesive dynamic page.
Static sites suit smaller sites with minimal changes while large dynamic sites with hundreds of pages suit content management systems better.
The benefits of static websites hosting include:
• Faster performance. Static files load instantly, improving page speed and user experience.
• Higher reliability and scalability. The simple architecture results in a robust, stable site that scales easily.
• Enhanced security. The lack of databases and third-party apps eliminates vulnerabilities and points of failure.
• Reduced cost and maintenance. There are no expensive add-ons, databases to manage or software to upgrade.
• Search engine optimization. Search engines can index the site fully, improving discoverability.
When evaluating static website hosting, consider the advantages of performance, security, cost and SEO benefits vs more complex functionality. Make sure the plan includes sufficient bandwidth and storage for assets. Determine if custom domains and SSL certificates are included or can be added.
Static sites offer a simple, affordable and high-performance alternative to databases for hosting smaller websites with fixed content. Static website hosting in the cloud can enhance speed, security, and user experience while reducing costs. You can host a static site with LayerStack’s Object Storage, which serves static files instantly from data centers worldwide.
For many businesses, a static site may provide a better digital presence than a traditional content management system. By evaluating the requirements and benefits, you can determine if the static website hosting in the cloud is ideal for your website.